Re: Do governments subsidize journals (was: Who gets hurt by Open

I should like to focus on just this part:

"a self- or institutional archive run on a cheap Linux box by a part-time
systems administrator"

The virtue (or lack of it) of any proposal rests on how doable it is. In
my opinion, an institutional archive run on a cheap Linux box by a
part-time sys op simply tells me that ...

(a) either someone has no real experience with all that is entailed (I'll
be happy to get into operational details if need be, but I do not want to
fill the kitchen with smoke), or

(b) someone has really low expectations and assigns low priority value to
this institutional archive (where "low expectations" may mean, for
example, "If we lose 10 percent of the stuff archived because someone did
not use gtar, so be it, we still got 90%", or "If we now and then lose a
disk because there was no redundancy and no backup SYSTEM in place, the
sysop just backed up according to his own little script, well, we
tried...", or "If we cannot read a file that was archived 5 years ago
because the executable for it has changed and we overlooked keeping the
old executable, well, who could have foreseen that...?", or "I am positive
that that paper must have been archived, but it will take me a good part
of the day to find it and restore it because blah blah blah...", or "well,
that's not a paper, that's a database, so we err when we archived it as if
it were a paper", or...)

Administering a cheap Linux box is not the same as maintaining a long-time
archive on a cheap Linux box: the latter entails much, much more than the
former.

Best, Elena Fraboschi