Re: What should journal publishers do about Katrina-affectedareas?

Many thanks to John for his inquiry.  We all recognize that the relief
work is still in a very early stage and that no one is ready to receive
books (or other library materials) yet.  However, the ALA Chicago office
is already working on how to provide assistance as soon as it is feasible
and would be very glad to hear from those of you who would like to work
with ALA.

In the meantime, here's the link to information about a Louisiana Library
Disaster Relief Fund:
http://www.ala.org/ala/pressreleases2005/september2005/HurricaneKatrina.htm.
The person in our Chicago office to contact is Michael Dowling, who is
head of our Chapter Relations Office (which is mentioned in the press
release).  His number is 800-545-2433, ext. 3200.  His e-mail is
mdowling@ala.org.  Miriam

Miriam M. Nisbet
Legislative Counsel
American Library Association
1615 New Hampshire Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20009-2520
Voice:  202-628-8410, x. 202,
        or 800-941-8478, x. 202
Fax:     202-628-8419
e-mail:  mnisbet@alawash.org
http://www.ala.org/washoff

>>> sack@stanford.edu 09/01/05 9:55 PM >>>

The publishers Stanford's HighWire work with have asked whether there are
any specific steps that libraries affected by Katrina would like them to
take.  If there is anything the publishers can do, we'd like to hear from
librarians.

We have heard that no mail is being shipped to zip codes affected by
Katrina, for example.  Would libraries want any added online access?

I'll summarize what I hear from liblicense and report to HighWire's
publishers.

John Sack, Director
         HighWire Press, Stanford University
         Phone: 650-723-0192; fax: 650-725-9335