RE: U.S. Government Authors Copyright-free

Alvin,

Take a look at the CENDI Frequently Asked Questions About Copyright
http://www.cendi.gov/publications/04-8copyright.html, specifically at
"3.2.7 Is a work co-authored by a U.S. Government employee and a
non-government employee copyrightable?"

The government is a joint owner in the work, but the non-government author
retains copyright. Therefore, the work is not in the public domain.  The
non-government author can transfer their copyright to a publisher.

A publisher or anyone may reproduce and distribute (including resell) a
federally-authored "work of the U.S. Government."  While copyright
protection is not available for any work of the United States Government
under 17 U.S.C. �105, this provision applies only to works created by
federal employees within the scope of their official duties.

Works created by government contractors, grantees, and certain other kinds
of authors do not fall within the statutory exemption; these kinds of
authors hold the copyrights in their own works.  The government negotiates
licenses to distribute these works to the public and to use them for
various other purposes, but government licenses do not extend to
redistributions by third parties who are not acting for the government.

CENDI (www.cendi.gov) is a cooperative of federal scientific, technical and
medical information managers.

Bonnie Klein
Chair, CENDI Copyright Working Group