LIS educational issues

I found Lee Anne's posting to be one of the more interesting and thought
provoking posts on this list for a while. Maybe that's because I try to
teach copyright/licensing issues in an LIS program. It is truly serious
stuff that's being raised here. Maybe it is nasty, but let's hear it out
before we make hasty judgments and cut it off.

I hate to see any relevant conversation get shut down. The way I
understood the "offensive" posting was that it touched on the state of
education about the concerns of this list (i.e, that's copyright and
licensing issues). It seems as if she has some relevant information to
share, so instead of trying to cut her off, why not just ask for a
clarification.

Perhaps if Lee Anne would like to expand on how she thought copyright and
licensing issues were/were not dealt with in her particular program, it
would help the rest of us LIS educators try to grapple with this important
issue. For that matter, let's start a new thread on the state of the art
of copyright/licensing education in library science schools (hence I've
changed the name of the subject line)

Bernie, for someone who posts to this list often -- lighten up willya?

Sam Trosow
Univesity of Western Ontario