RE: Funding OA, part one

Dear David G,

There is an easy and cheap way: to adopt the proposal Varmus put forth in
1999 : <http://www.nih.gov/about/director/pubmedcentral/ebiomedarch.htm>

After 6 years experience, it is clear that the quality control options are
more varied than suggested there, and could include any of these

a) articles would be posted only upon the approval of an editing committee
of a "journal"--probably including the same journals and the same
committees. The quality requirements would depend on the journal, just as
now.

b) articles would be posted after a quick arXiv-like scan for
appropriateness. The would then be certified by whichever "journal"  the
author asked to do so. These would be probably include the same journals
and the same committees. The quality requirements would depend on the
journal, just as now.

c) The database would have a peer-reviewed side and a non peer-reviewed
side. Anyone could post to the non-peer-reviewed side, possibly with a
scan for appropriateness. Items would move when submitted to a "journal"
by an author and reviewed favorably, just as now.

Note that any variation or new idea for quality control could be adopted;
I present these mainly to show that the journals and their key functions
could continue.  Anyone is welcome to substitute a preferred scheme. As we
are certain to disagree on the best one, there might be more than one
route, just as PNAS has long had different tracks-- currently, as shown in
<http://www.pnas.org/misc/iforc.shtml#submission>.

Who could bring it about: any group in the publication chain with enough
courage. (See the last paragraph)

Who benefits:

funding agencies:  the cost would be lower--depending on the amount of
editing and the requirement for a copyediting step--anywhere from 5% to
75%.  We would presumably select a system that could be paid for by the
reallocation of current funds. The grant funds that now go to publication
costs and the libraries' part of overhead would be reallocated.

academic administrators:  they could continue their promotion, tenure, and
hiring systems until they had better ideas; the same high quality and low
quality journals would exist.

authors:  one easy way to publish for both good and mediocre material--
the journal editors would label them, just as now.

editors:  the functions of editors, editorial boards, and peer reviewers
continue just as now unless we want to change them

readers: everything from here on in is accessible universally.

libraries:  they would only need to pay for a few key journals that might
continue in print.  Some subscription funds might have to be reallocated,
but if there are no expensive journals to buy. the library does not need
the money to buy them. There should be some left to buy more books (see
below)

Who should be fully satisfied:

"Gold" OA Journal advocates:  this givesthem everythingthey want without
the burden of actually publishing a journal and collecting the fundsto pay
for it.

"Green" OA advocates: authors could coninue to post unpublished and
published papers in any repository they choose, and there would be no need
to dispute with publishers over the details.

Conventional journal advocates: this has all the direct benefits that come
from journal publication. Anything worth printing could still be printed,
if people were willing to pay for it. They'd have an option.

Who might not benefit:

Societies that depend on publication income: Varmus's idea was to
subsidize them directly. If they are going to use the profits for
non-publication purposes, then these purposes would need to be justified
for funding in here own sake.  That's fair enough.

Commercial journal publishers: These would continue only for those few
journals people wanted to pay for, not thought they needed to get someone
else to pay for. That's what a free market means. The staff of these
publishers who perform editorial function would still be needed, though
reorganized. The others would need to turn to publishing other things,
such as books.

Librarians: The librarians and library staff necessary for the complex
procedures of purchasing journals and arranging access would not be needed
for these functions. The part of public service librarian's work involved
in helping people navigate the maze to find their articles would not be
needed either.  The proper functions of librarians would continue, to
provide indexing and to help users match their problems to the material
which would meet their needs.  There is a large unmet need for such help--
but institutions and users would have to be convinced of that, and there
might be a better name for these information intermediates than
"librarians"  It's a role that should convey high prestige.

OA advocates (and opponents) in general:  We would no longer need lists
like this one. Those running them and those writing them would need to
find other issues--this part I don't really worry about.

How long would it take to bring this about?

In theory, one day. We know how to run archives. We know how to edit and
review articles. Authors may need some help posting them, but there will
be many people to help.

In practice--until the academic world and its satellites come to their
senses and get out of the publishing cost spiral. I understand already.
How about you?

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu

PS.  the author would be grateful to anyone pointing out items that have
been overlooked or wrongly stated, whether mentioned in private or on the
list.  And if people really don't like this plan, or it has some fatal
defect, there are others that could do almost as well, or coexist with it.
They require a little more in the way of formal structure, so I'll post
them in a few days.