I beg your pardon: copyright ownership

" Joe Esposito points out that publishers do not usually own the
copyrights that they assert and whose rights they depend on."

I never said any such thing.  I said authors typically transfer most of
the rights to publishers.  In such cases (most cases) publishers own the
rights.  The nature of the business deals varies, though there are
conventions in certain segments of the industry.  Trade publishers, for
example, rarely get the film rights from authors.  Publishers assert the
rights that they own.

--
Joe Esposito