Re: More on Google Suspends Scanning Copyrighted Works -- For Now

No.  For purposes of Section 108, "obsolete" a format shall be considered
obsolete if the machine or device necessary to render perceptible a work
stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably
available in the commercial marketplace.  "Ordinary" paper books are not
obsolete within the meaning of Section 108.

The prohibition has already been upheld in courts and in fact was
specifically cited in the Michigan Document Services case -

"And "the courts have . . . properly rejected attempts by for-profit users
to stand in the shoes of their customers making nonprofit or noncommercial
uses." Patry, Fair Use in Copyright Law, at 420 n.34.

As the House Judiciary Committee stated in its report on the 1976
legislation, "It would not be possible for a non-profit institution, by
means of contractual arrangements with a commercial copying enterprise, to
authorize the [**21] enterprise to carry out copying and distribution
functions that would be exempt if conducted by the non-profit institution
itself." H.R. Rep. No. 1476, 94th Cong., 2d Sess. at 74 (1976)."

I think you are confounding this provision with open bidding for projects
that the commercial vendor is otherwise permitted to do.

There are many rather significant differences between libraries and
for-profit copiers beginning with their essential missions.  It was in
recognition of their many unique characteristics that libraries were able
to convince Congress to provide them the special exemptions in 108.
These exemptions, if abused, can also be taken away. In fact, the
Librarian of Congress has convened a special 108 Study Group
(http://www.loc.gov/section108/index.html) that is to submit its report by
mid-2006.

Peggy

Peggy E. Hoon, J.D.
Scholarly Communication Librarian
Special Assistant to the Provost for Copyright Administration
North Carolina State University Libraries
Raleigh, NC  27695-7111
919.513.2045
919.513.3553 (fax)
peggy_hoon@ncsu.edu