Changes to Emerald website DO include acknowledgement of duplication

To clarify the message from Mr Davis - Emerald articles involved in dual
publication without attribution HAVE been clearly acknowledged and tagged
within the article fulltext in HTML.  We sought, in the first instance, to
tag the HTML fulltext article in order to provide the correct citation
details for our readers who are engaged in research and will need to refer
to the full paper.  Plans to tag the article at the abstract level to
inform users who prefer to access articles in PDF format (a process that
requires further technical development) are currently underway.

As Mr Davis does not have access to Emerald fulltext, I have cut and
pasted the acknowledgement from the article published in Career
Development International that Mr Davis used in his example, to the end of
this email

We have acknowledged and accepted dual publication without attribution as
poor publishing practise.  We have apologized publicly (a number of times)
and further sought to provide recompense as follows:

* Contacted those deemed significantly affected with an offer of
compensation.

* We are currently in discussions with the ALA to donate a total of
$20,000 to fund library research during 2006 and 2007.

* Invited ARL Library directors to visit Emerald offices to see for
themselves our production process and discuss how they might be improved.

* Marked each dually published article with a statement of where it was
previously and subsequently published.

* Stated unambiguously the company policy towards republication for staff
and editors.  That is re-publication without attribution shall not be
allowed in the company's journals, and that re-publication of papers with
attribution, in commemorative issues, for example will be authorised in
writing by the Director responsible for editorial and publishing policy.

* Established a panel of advisors who have been invited to provide input
on future policy in relationships with our library customers.

I hope that this summary provides sufficient information for Mr Davis to
close this issue.

________cutting from Career Development international _____________

Developing and supporting information entrepreneurs

Colin Coulson-Thomas

The Authors

Colin Coulson-Thomas, University of Luton, Luton, UK

Acknowledgements

Note: This paper was first published in Industrial and Commercial
Training, Volume 32 Number 6, 2000.

Abstract

Opportunities abound to make money by packaging and applying information
and knowledge, offering information and knowledge based services, and
managing intellectual capital more effectively. However, to exploit them a
new generation of information, knowledge and learning entrepreneurs need
to be developed. Companies that are intent upon creating and exploiting
intellectual capital need to encourage and support information
entrepreneurs. The current situation and climate for information
entrepreneurship need to be assessed, and educators, trainers and
developers should define relevant competencies and take appropriate steps
to equip people with them.

Gillian Crawford
Head of Corporate Communications
Emerald Group Publishing Limited