RE: Health Information Needs

Much as I admire the work done by librarians, there are two key points
Tony overlooks.

1. Each person has the right to privacy in meeting information needs.
Information professionals respect privacy, but many users will choose not
to disclose the medical situation to a stranger, and they have the right
to information none the less.

2. Saying that people should use the services of a librarian is parallel
to the conventional advice "for more information, ask your doctor."  As
medicine is nowadays practiced, rare is the physician who would be able to
provide detailed advice to each individual patient, were they all to ask
for it. Considering the number of people in need of medical information,
there is no possibility that librarians can help more than a very small
fraction. The only way reference service survives for any library is that
few people ever ask.  Therefore, the work of librarians is by necessity
largely devoted to constructing systems by which the public can meet their
needs without direct personal mediation.

But even if one agreed to Tony's argument about the indispensiblity of
intermediates, would he accept the proposition that there should be OA to
all material requested with the help of a librarian?

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu