Downloading 'myths' challenged

BBC NEWS Worldwide
Wednesday, 27 July, 2005, 08:10 GMT 09:10 UK
Downloading 'myths' challenged

People who illegally share music files online are also big spenders on
legal music downloads, research suggests.  Digital music research firm The
Leading Question found that they spent four and a half times more on
paid-for music downloads than average fans

The study found that regular downloaders of unlicensed music spent an
average of �5.52 a month on legal digital music.

This compares to just �1.27 spent by other music fans.

"The research clearly shows that music fans who break piracy laws are
highly valuable customers," said Paul Brindley, director of The Leading
Question

Carrot and stick

The BPI (British Phonographic Industry) welcomed the findings but added a
note of caution.

"It's encouraging that many illegal file-sharers are starting to use legal
services," said BPI spokesman Matt Philips.

"But our concern is that file-sharers' expenditure on music overall is
down, a fact borne out by study after study.

"The consensus among independent research is that a third of illegal
file-sharers may buy more music and around two thirds buy less.

"That two-thirds tends to include people who were the heaviest buyers
which is why we need to continue our carrot and stick approach to the
problem of illegal file-sharing," he said.

digital-copyright Digest 29 Jul 2005 15:00:00 -0000 Issue 536

####