Sent: 28 July 2005 23:12
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Health Information Needs

I find that myself in disagreement with Richard Feinman and Tony McSean as
to the necessity of mediation.  As a librarian, I thought of the
profession as gate openers, not gate keepers--especially with the
expansion of electronic resources, and a reason why I championed the "big
deal."  While many may need or prefer mediation is not disputed, rather
why does everyone need to be mediated?  I earlier referred to substantial
efforts to lead prostate cancer patients to original research (especially
as the fundamental treament protocol relies on an informed decision by the
patient--and health care providers in this area strongly tend to recommend
their particular modalities--a bias that access to actual research affords
an alternative).

To me, mediation is like sitting on the beach and introducing people to the
ocean by offering them a tablespoon of sea water.  In opposition to Fineman,
I especially think that the primary justification for NIH support of open
access is the public's right to know.  We paid for the research and have a
right to know what was found.  Other than from an intellectual perspective,
I see no comparable basis for insisting that research results be shared only
with other researchers.

Kent Mulliner        Phone: 740-742-2650
Rutland, OH 45775-9675
mulliner@ohio.edu

   [snip]