Re: Who gets hurt by Open Access?

And since when have publishers received "private support" or "the shelter
of a special economic regime"? If I am receiving some sort of financial
free ride, it's certainly news to me. I thought I was competing the
marketplace. Please direct me to that "shelter," so I can escape the
broiling sun of the marketplace.

The only one I know receiving private support is PLoS, which is supported
by the Moore Foundation, and the only ones asking for a "special economic
regime" are certain OA publishers, who seek to sustain their money-losing
operations with government bail outs.

Peter Banks
Publisher
American Diabetes Association
1701 North Beauregard Street
Alexandria, VA 22311
703/299-2033
FAX 703/683-2890
Email: pbanks@diabetes.org

>>> espositoj@gmail.com 07/19/05 7:23 PM >>>

I was unaware that anyone was concerned about the prosperity of
traditional publishers, except the publishers themselves.  Speaking only
for myself, my concern is being presented with the absurdity of publishers
being asked to sentence themselves to death.

Joe Esposito