EPA invests in its Web site

Of possible interest.
___________________________

NYTimes 7/18:

WASHINGTON, July 17 - The Office of Research and Development at the
Environmental Protection Agency is seeking outside public relations
consultants, to be paid up to $5 million over five years, to polish its
Web site, organize focus groups on how to buff the office's image and
ghostwrite articles "for publication in scholarly journals and magazines."

The strategy, laid out in a May 26 exploratory proposal notice and further
defined in two recently awarded public relations contracts totaling
$150,000, includes writing and placing "good stories" about the E.P.A.'s
research office in consumer and trade publications.

. . .

The more extensive and expensive plan seeks help from public relations
agencies to, among other things, "provide research, writing and editing of
Office of Research and Development articles for publications in scholarly
journals and magazines."

Donald Kennedy, the editor of Science magazine and a former head of the
Food and Drug Administration, said in a telephone interview on Saturday
that he found the idea of public relations firms ghostwriting for
government scientists "appalling."

"If we knew that it had been written by someone who was not a scientist
and submitted as though it were the work of a scientist, we wouldn't take
it," Mr. Kennedy said. "But it's conceivable that we wouldn't know, if it
was carefully constructed."

copyright 2005 The New York Times