RE: A Prophylactic Against the Edentation of the RCUK Policy Proposal

As a librarian, I would subscribe to a journal all of whose content is
available free if:

1/ the material were difficult to find in its free form--as is now usually
the case or

2/ the version available free were of unknown quality (as is now usually
the case) or

3/ there were serious doubts about the free access remaining available.
(and this has happenned to a few titles.)

4/ the journal were published under a scheme such that key features or
backfiles required a current subscription (relatively rare, because such
feature prove to be rarely worth the money.)

5/ the contents were so important or interesting that a paper copy was
wanted and used (which is the case for relatively few titles--maybe 10% of
a typical research collection) or

6/ I were collecting for a complete archival collection, in which case I
would certainly also want paper if available (many libraries think they
are, but many fewer actually have collections of that quality and
completeness. in a subject) or

7/ The journal were published by a society that was thought to merit
library support for its publishing ventures in general (there are a few
such, generally less than 1% of the budget.)

The more interesting case, is whether I as a librarian would subscribe to
a journal where 1/4, or 1/3, or 3/4 of the material were available OA. We
will see these before we see 100%, and the results will indicate the
future course better than any guesses I might now make.  Nonetheless, I do
intend making such guesses at intermediate states. My criterion will have
to be based on what I myself as a librarian would do, and whether most
librarians are more or less conservative than I am.

An interesting further factor which will inform us, is that the different
subject fiels will move through these stages at different times. Hence the
interest in the high energy physics data, although everyone understands
the limitations due to the exceptional nature of publication and research
in that field. Exceptional it may be, but it's the only discipline- scale
data we have.

There now seem to be 4 camps, not 2:

o Those who wish for OA, and think it progressing nicely, and a sure
  thing.
o Those who wish for OA, and think it progressing slowly with many hazards
  ahead
o Those who do not wish for OA, and fear its apparent progress
o Those who do not wish for OA, and are pleased it is not doing very well

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu