RE: Reply to David Prosser

I don't want to get into a 'who said what debate' as that is tedious for
readers and now, thanks to the beautifully cleaned-up archive, we can see
exactly what was said.  (By the way, let me take this opportunity to thank
Ann for undertaking that piece of spring cleaning!)

Instead let's move the debate forward a little.  Joe says:

'It is in no traditional publisher's interest for OA to move forward.'

Now, of course, this may or may not be true for the large publishers who
are nursing large profit margins, but let's remember that probably half of
all journals are published by small (often society) publishers who only
publish one or two title each.  I think that for increasing numbers of
these publishers open access could be in their interests.  These
publishers do not have the size or clout to put together big deals that
tie-in library budgets for 3-5 years.  Instead, they have to compete for
an ever-smaller amount of 'left over' money in the library budgets (as an
increasing proportion gets spent on a small number of big deals).  In the
current model I think they are at risk.

Open access, especially with an 'author' pays model, might help them.
Rather than competing for ever smaller proportions of flat or slowly
increasing library budgets they would be competing for ever increasing
research budgets.  This is what many society publishers did in the past
(in the form of page charges), but open access changes the equation as it
gives authors added dissemination and impact and so they may be willing to
spend part of their research funds on publication.  (And we can argue
about whether or not open access does or does not increase dissemination
and impact until the cows come home - I think the evidence is becoming
overwhelming.)

It is probably not a coincidence that most of the experiments in open
access to date (and certainly before Springer's 'Open Choice' initiative)
came from the small, society publishers.

(I'm not normally this shameless at self-promotion, but here's a paper I
wrote expanding this argument a couple of years ago.  Comments would be
welcome.
http://www.sparceurope.org/resources/Big%20Squeeze%20-%20final.pdf)

David