Further news from Oxford Journals and its open access initiatives

***apologies for cross-posting***

Dear listserv members

Further news from Oxford Journals and its open access initiatives

As further evidence of our commitment to sharing results of our
experiments with open access models, we would like to direct readers to an
article that has today been published in Serials:

Open Access and Institutional Repositories: An Evidence-Based Approach
Martin Richardson, Oxford University Press

Oxford Journals are conducting experiments with partial open access
publishing (Journal of Experimental Botany), full open access publishing
(Nucleic Acids Research), institutional repositories (SHERPA) and subject
repositories (PubMed Central). Initial results regarding open access have
been encouraging, in that usage appears to have increased, but it is
unclear whether open access publishing can be viable without support from
institutional subscriptions. Early evidence suggests that free
availability of articles through repositories also leads to increased
usage but may have a detrimental impact on subscription revenues.

Journal access programmes for developing countries
<http://uksg.metapress.com/link.asp?id=89QQNDRX1BQJ9L8T

Mithu Mukherjee
Communications Executive
Oxford Journals