To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 10:32 PM
Subject: RE: A Prophylactic Against the Edentation of the RCUK Policy Proposal

We appear to be agreed on the issue that started this exchange.  The
original statement from Stevan that Joe took exception to - 'The
argument that self-archiving will lead to journal cancellations and
collapse, in contrast, is not based on objective fact but on
*hypothesis*.' - is correct.  There is no evidence.

For the rest, I think that the last two paragraphs of the quote from
Raym Crow says it very well:

"In any event, the systemic inertia inherent in the traditional
scholarly publishing paradigm suggests that one need not fear the
precipitous collapse of commercial academic publishers. The best of them
will adapt and survive under new models and will continue to perform a
valuable albeit changed role in scholarly communications."

Publishers respond to changes in technology and changes in the market.
In the last ten years we have seen a massive change in the technology -
the internet - and we are currently seeing a massive change in the
market - the funding bodies deciding that they wish to have wider
dissemination of the research they fund.  Publishers will adapt and
survive - no doubt aided by far-sighted consultants!

David