RE: Microsoft's new search engine

> Britain's New Scientist magazine has reported that Microsoft's new
> search engine, which is currently under development, had caught up
> technically with Google.

Until I asked him to stop, my uncle used to send me regular updates on the
progress of the latest get-rich-quick scheme he had enrolled in (and in
which he hoped I'd enroll as well).  The tone of his messages was always
breathless, but the fantastic results were always still just a little
ahead -- the product was "about to turn a corner," sales and profitability
were "about to explode," enthusiasm was "building," now was the time to
"get in on the ground floor" (quick! before sales turn a corner and
profitability explodes!).

The prospect of a newer and better Google is certainly exciting.  But I'm
going to control my excitement until Bill Gates offers us something more
substantial than the promise of something newer and better. Frankly, I'm a
little surprised that he's talking about how wonderful it's going to be
before he's got anything to show -- seems like he's running the risk of
overinflating expectations.  On the other hand, Bill Gates may not feel
like he needs my marketing advice...

----
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition