Re: A Prophylactic Against the Edentation of the RCUK Policy Proposal

On 8-Jul-05, at 2:27 PM, Anthony Watkinson wrote:

[snip}

 A key document in the SPARC arsenal (though difficult to find now if
one goes in through the SPARC home page) is the position paper on
institutional repositories by Raym Crow. You can find it at
http://www.arl.org/sparc/IR/ir.html.
Anthony, thanks for pointing us to this excellent resource - well worth
reading! There are a great many good reasons for libraries and
universities to set up and fill institutional repositories.

As Raym Crow explains in this document, institutional repositories "Have
the potential to serve as tangible indicators of a university's quality
and to demonstrate the scientific, societal, and economic relevance of its
research activities, thus increasing the institution's visibility, status,
and public value."

There are many other wonderful benefits from having an institutional
repository. This is learning curve for everyone. IRs are new for
authors. Right now, many don't know what they are, or why they would want
to use them. In time, I am completely convinced, that authors will come
to wonder how they ever managed without.

As one example of the benefits for the author, I can point people to all
of my recent publications and presentations with just one URL. How
convenient! Finding my own works in the IR is more convenient for me than
trying to find them on my own desktop. As an author, I just love my IR -
and the wonderful staff who run it and help me with self-archiving;
librarians, of course.

If anyone is interested in looking at my recent works, or wants to see
what I'm talking about, go to:

http://tinyurl.com/autqd

cheers,

Heather Morrison

The natural science knows no boundaries, and the knowledge knows no difference in race, rich or poor. Qiheng Hu, Presentation, Beijing, June 05.
http://libraries.csdl.ac.cn/Meeting/MeetingID.asp? action=skin&language=Eng&MeetingID=7&MeetingMenuID=51
Thanks to Stevan Harnad for the tip.