query regarding Copyright issue in a license

Good afternoon,

We are currently negotiating a license with a vendor whose legal counsel
has placed this in his email message in response to our attempt to ensure
our members are not forfeiting their rights under the US Copyright Act:

	"-Section 3 Use of excerpts. The uses proposed would have to
	be more restrictive and require product manager approval.
	Also, we will not explicitly state that we won't limit
	Subscriber's rights under the US Copyright Act. The idea of
	this agreement is to control our ip."

If you would like to see what we proposed in the Section 3, please let me
know.

My question is this:

	- are you finding vendors specifically making this kind of
	  statement (where they 'will not explicity state that we
          won't limit Subscriber's rights under the US Copyright
	  Act')?

We've not run into such an aggressive stance before so I'm a little
concerned about an apparent new mind-set.  Is anyone else coming up
against this?  If so, how are you handling it?

Thanks,
Debi
Debi Baker				Orbis Cascade Alliance
Projects Manager			ddbaker@uoregon.edu
1299 University of Oregon               voice: (541) 346-1832
Eugene, OR 97403-1299                   fax:   (541) 346-1968