Re: Unauthorized downloading of scientific information

On 5-Jul-05, at 2:42 PM, Rick Anderson wrote:

[snip]

We've found that in some cases the problem stems from users who don't
understand that they're doing anything wrong. In other cases (the
majority, in my experience), the problem stems from people who know
perfectly well what they're doing and take measures to hide it -- such
as sneaking into someone else's office and using their computer. [snip]

I'm sure that there are also cases where researchers are downloading
content systematically in order to perform legitimate research.  In a
case such as that, it would make sense to talk with the licensor (ahead
of time, preferably) and make arrangements for an exception to the
license restrictions.
[snip]

Rick, I am truly sorry to hear that people are sneaking into offices at
your university. My personal reaction to this would be concern about
purses, wallets, and computers, as well as the physical and emotional
security of the office inhabitant(s), as well as concern about license
agreements, of course.

Here are two suggestions for universities to minimize the potential for
this kind of trespass: negotiate walk-in rights, so that users can access
the resources at any time in the library, rather than sneaking into
offices; and, encourage local public libraries to promote open access
resources. My presentation, "Open Access: Resources for All Library
Types" at the Beyond Hope Conference in Prince George this spring, in the
SFU D-Space at http://ir.lib.sfu.ca/handle/1892/260, may be helpful here. This presentation was well attended by the public library community, and
they seemed to find it very interesting.

Working with researchers to ensure they are able to download content
systematically when there is genuine need to do so, sounds like a very
good idea.

A personal view by,

Heather Morrison