Re: ALPSP Response to RCUK Policy Proposal

Is there no way to put an end to this foolish ranting?  Of course a
self-archived version of a publication competes with a formally published
one.  Of course the martket is not entirely efficient.  Of course
publishers typically acquire not only the "value-added version" of a
publication (a meaningless phrase) but the underlying version as well.
Of course no one will pay for what they can't profit from.  Self-
archiving and Open Access are fine things, but let's grow up and stop
asserting that these things can coexist peacefully with traditional
publishing.  These are parallel universes.  Over time one will prevail,
but not both.

Joe Esposito

[SNIP]