Re: [SOAF] ALPSP Response to RCUK Policy Proposal

Apologies for cross-posting

There's a major misunderstanding here about the 'value-added version'. Publishers don't just add value by editing, formatting, linking etc - they
also play a key role in supporting and funding the peer review process
(even though they don't either carry out the PR or - usually - pay the
referees). They also add huge value - to both authors and readers - by
associating an article with the 'brand' of a particular journal
(especially if it is a prestigious one). If all this is to be given away
via repositories, who'd subscribe?

Few publishers, I would guess, are any longer confident that the added
value on their own site would be enough to keep journals (and the peer
review, editing and related processes that they support) viable in the
face of free competition from even 'good enough' versions, let alone final
postprints, elsewhere; the 'evidence' to the contrary does not persuade
many publishers! It beats me how people can argue on the one hand that
repositories are necessary to solve libraries' financial problems, and on
the other that they will not lead to increased subscription/licence
cancellations and thus, ultimately, to the collapse of journals. As
comparable usage statistics become increasingly available, publishers must
all be worrying about whether availability from alternative sources will
so depress usage our own sites as to lead librarians to conclude that
subscriptions are no longer necessary - I'd be fascinated to hear from any
publishers who are already seeing this effect (the evidence I've been
given so far was in confidence)

Incidentally, the NIH embargoes are slightly more complex than Stevan
suggests - authors are encouraged to deposit papers immediately on
acceptance; the embargo relates to the date when they are made publicly
available; I chose my words with care! Wellcome on the other hand is, as
I understand it, talking about the date of deposit.

Sally

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1903 871 686
Fax: +44 (0)1903 871 457