RE: question about Governing Law

Like most of these standard provisions, the "governing law" or
jurisdiction clause is important where things go wrong.  If an agreement
does not specify the jurisdiction in which a case is to be heard and the
law by which the agreement is to be interpreted, there will be a
preliminary hearing to decide which jurisdiction applies to the dispute.
There is a complex set of rules under Private International Law that is
brought to bear.  So omitting the jurisdiction clause introduces a new -
and very costly - layer of legal hearings before the substantive case gets
to court.

At a more mundane level, jurisdiction is important so that both parties
know which rules to apply - e.g. fair use under copyright law.

Most publishers will accept the jurisdiction of the customer.  But
insisting on omitting a jurisdiction clause is deeply stupid!  The only
publishers that cannot accept any individual national or state
jurisdiction are international organizations established by treaty - e.g.
UN, OECD.  In those cases, ask for an arbitration clause.

John Cox

Managing Director
John Cox Associates Ltd
United Kingdom