RE: AAP/Google in Chronicle of Higher Education

I've read this thread with considerable interest and thought I might
contribute a very minor footnote.  Word coming out of the Bodleian Library
in Oxford is that the sequential "Aardvark to Zanussi" scanning from top
left of the first book shelf to the bottom right of the last shelf
continues unabated.  I have both a professional and a personal interest in
what's happening on this front - as an author of 'academic' books and
articles (albeit as a 'private scholar') and also as a builder of a
digital learning resource (a digital bibliography) and various articles in
the pipeline.

Jean states:

"Unfortunately, at this point, finding book content is still stuck in the
print era, and that is problematic for those of us trying to educate our
students on authoritative sources in an electronic environment."

Well, I'd like to challenge that assumption.  The 'book of my Ph.D' was
OCR'd in its entirety and made available on amazon.com under its "Search
Inside this book" functionality soon after it launched. I was able to
locate single words and phrases anywhere within the 542 pages of text -
and then page backwards and forwards a couple of pages either side of the
hit.  Given my royalties each year would hardly by a quick round of drinks
for me and the Webmaster of liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu I can't plead the
'I'm loosing revenue' game.  The real challenge is whether there could
there be a double whammy in getting multiple micro-payments from Web users
gaining access to search my book text - and this then spawn those who
prefer to have a copy of the book itself.  Can't say that my publisher, or
Google, or Amazon have come hammering on my door to discuss.

I contacted my publisher when I noticed that my book was in the "Search
inside this book"- "Surely making a copy of the entire work is breaking
fair usage let alone UK copyright law?"  The reply - and this was a couple
of year's ago - was "Ah, but we see it as being no different as being able
to pop into a bookshop and browse."  I robustly challenged that
assertion.!

My quandary is this.  The print run of my book was around 1000 copies.
When the publisher was bought out a few years back, the new publisher
'lost' all the remaining stock - that was over 30% of the entire print
run!!  So, in the new 'open access' world do I cut my losses and think
about a 2nd hard copy edition - I now have the copyright back in my text
given me 'gratis' by the publisher! (talk about closing the door once the
horse has bolted!) - or do I see what to do with my OCR online version of
text, perhaps offer a 'new improved' 2nd edition.  How do I get back my
OCR'd text into the genie's bottle? Or do I simply offer a bigger and
better text in another bottle?

Presumably these are first term brain teasers posed to the bright young
MBA students at Harvard Business School et al!

Answers on a postcard please!!

Anthony Hamber

Dr. Anthony Hamber
Director