Permanent or open access?

Dear all,

Sorry for diverging our attention from our current discussion. I have two
issues to wich I may need your response(s).

One. I has been observed that Google Print may improve some resources'
scientific impact through its project on digitization of (majorly) books.
I do agree with this line of thought. However of late, I have noted that
one will need to subscribe (i.e. have a login name and password) in order
to access some restricted parts of the resources. Can these resources
still be classified as Open Access?

Two: Does permanent access mean open access and vise versa? What are the
main issues that one needs to consider when embarking on projects that
will enable permanent access to scientific resources? Does the selection
of resources that one would like to offer permanent access to depend on
their (resources') quality?

Regards

Bosire Onyancha
University of