Sent: 24 June, 2005 5:13 AM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Google Print and Innovation

When Medline became publicly accessible, usage increased a hundred fold.

Will Google Print create new markets for academic books - markets that
publishers have never dreamed of?  Many members of the public have likely
never perused an academic library catalogue or publishers' lists of
offering - but if Google Print results point them to academic works, will
some want to buy?  If they do want to purchase, will publishers be ready
to sell?

If publishers succeed in stopping the project - is this an opportunity
lost?

What would it cost for publishers to come up with marketing research to
find out?

cheers,

Heather Morrison