Medical and Science Journals Sign On to Blackwell Publishing's Online Open Service

Medical and Science Journals Sign On to Blackwell Publishing's Online Open
Service

Boston, MA and Oxford, UK - June 21, 2005 - Blackwell Publishing announced
the names of 30 journals that will participate in Blackwell Publishing's
Online Open service. Online Open, launched in February, is a new service
that offers authors the opportunity to make their articles freely
available to all Internet users upon payment of a publication fee.
Blackwell anticipates the addition of more journals in Online Open by the
end of the year.

"We're very pleased that these key medical and life sciences journals have
chosen to innovate in this way and participate in Online Open," said Bob
Campbell, President of Blackwell Publishing, Ltd.

The new Online Open service will be on trial through the end of 2006.
During this period, authors of accepted articles in these journals will
have the option to pay a fee of US$2500 or �1250 (plus VAT where
applicable) to make their articles freely accessible via the online
journals platform Blackwell Synergy.  Online Open articles will be
published to the same high standards as subscription-based articles,
including the full peer-review process.

Chairman of the British Pharmacological Society, Jeff Aronson, said, "At
the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology we recognize that there are
different views about the potential merits and demerits of different
models of open-access publishing.  We have therefore decided to give our
authors a choice between two different publishing models, in the hope that
by catering for different needs we shall improve the dissemination of
scientific results in our discipline.  We look forward to seeing the
results of this experiment, which we believe will be influential in
guiding future publishing practices."

The journals currently participating in the Online Open trial include:

*	Animal Genetics
*	British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
*	Cellular Microbiology
*	Clinical & Experimental Allergy
*	Clinical and Experimental Immunology
*	Clinical Endocrinology
*	Diabetic Medicine
*	Diversity and Distributions
*	Ecology Letters
*	Geophysical Journal International
*	Global Change Biology
*	Global Ecology and Biogeography
*	Histopathology
*	Immunology
*	International Journal of Immunogenetics
*	Journal of Applied Microbiology
*	Journal of Biogeography
*	Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology
*	Journal of Intellectual Disability Research
*	Journal of Neuroendocrinology
*	Journal of Viral Hepatitis
*	Letters in Applied Microbiology
*	Molecular Ecology
*	Molecular Ecology Notes
*	Molecular Microbiology
*	Neuropathology and Applied Neurobiology
*	Pigment Cell Research
*	Plant, Cell and Environment
*	Restoration Ecology
*	Scandinavian Journal of Immunology

Link to more details about Online Open:
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/static/onlineopen.asp?site=1

Link to Blackwell Publishing's Position on Open Access:
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/static/openaccess.asp?site=1

About Blackwell Publishing

Blackwell Publishing is the world's leading society publisher, partnering
more than 600 academic and professional societies.  Blackwell publishes
over 750 journals and 600 text and reference books annually, across a wide
range of academic, medical, and professional subjects.  The company's
ownership remains independent and has over 900 staff members in offices in
the US, UK, Australia, China, Denmark, Germany, and Japan.  Blackwell's
mission as an expert publisher is to create long-term partnerships with
our clients to enhance learning, disseminate research, and improve the
quality of professional practice.  For more information on Blackwell
Publishing, please visit www.blackwellpublishing.com or
www.blackwell-synergy.com.

Contact:
Emily Gillingham