RE: AAP/Google in Chronicle of Higher Education

Rick Anderson makes a good point:

> I think that publishers are concerned that once Google owns complete
> scans of their books, it will be much harder to keep those complete
> scans from getting out onto the open Web in an uncontrolled way.

Is there any indication either from Google or from its library partners,
who will be holding copies of the scanned data, about the security
precautions they are taking?  Rick is quite right that one good hack of an
insecure system could essentially put a lot of books out into the open in
a way that would make it hard to lock them up again.  If the
Google-created data are secure from such hack, could Google please offer
to provide the same security to our banks?

Jim O'Donnell
Georgetown U.