ALA focus group University of Chicago Press Journals

Dear Academic Librarians,

The University of Chicago Press is undertaking a review of the pricing
models that will be used to set journal rates for the 2007 subscription
year. With the proliferation of business models and the opportunities
offered by technological advances, we are eager to explore new
opportunities for product offerings and pricing that will meet our mutual
goals.

We are hosting two focus groups during the ALA Annual Meeting in Chicago.
If you are willing to share your ideas and suggestions, we hope that you
will submit your name as a possible participant.  We are seeking input
from knowledgeable librarians from all types and sizes of academic
libraries with a variety of roles (selection, collection development,
e-resources management and acquisitions).  Our consultants, October Ivins
and Judy Luther, librarians who work with publishers and vendors, will
conduct the sessions.  Each session will be held from noon until 2:00 pm,
with the discussion occurring from 12:15 to 1:15.

Sunday, 6/26:  Homewood Suites by Hilton, 40 E. Grand (@State St.)

Monday, 6/27:  Hotel Inter-Continental, 505 N. Michigan Ave.

Understanding the needs and preferences of our library customers is
critical to our decisions and an important part of this study.  We are
interested in understanding your library's policies regarding electronic
content and archiving; current and projected budget conditions; and
participation in consortia and related environmental factors. We are also
interested in your feedback on a number of the pricing models that we will
be considering. For a list of titles please visit the Journals home page:
http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/

Please let me know if you would like to participate by Friday, June 17,
2005 and provide your full title and contact information. We will inform
the selected participants no later than Sunday, June 19th, 2005.

Thank you,

Anna Fleming
aaf@press.uchicago.edu
Library Relations Manager