Re: Google Print Home Page now offers searching

Oh, dear.  Where to begin?

First, I should note that the bracketed interpolation "[ie.monographs]" is
Mr. Hodgkin's, not mine (nor did he claim otherwise).

Second, most of the examples I would use to support my point are the very
same examples Mr. Hodgkin uses to support his.  Book publishers, for all
their reservations, are rushing to support Amazon's "look inside the book
program" and the original Google Print program, both of which demonstrably
are a means to sell books online.

Third, readers of Publishers Weekly (this is NOT a recommendation) are
familiar with the emerging direct-to-consumer programs at HarperCollins
among others.  The trade publishers are diplomatically coy about their
plans, as it is imprudent to rile the management of Barnes & Noble.

Fourth, countless publishers do what Merriam-Webster does:  they post a
catalogue online and then have orders pass through to Amazon.  This again
is selling books online.

Fifth, textbook publishers are looking to sell electronic versions of
their materials, partly as a means to lower prices.  There have been
several announcements in this regard in the past year.

Sixth, there are expectations that the Sony ebook platform, now popular in
Japan, will come to the U.S. market, and publishers are developing plans
to work with what is likely to be the first reasonable candidate for a
mass-market handheld reader, with etexts to be delivered online in an
iTunes-like fashion.

Seventh, Audible.com already has a deal in place with iTunes.

Eighth, I can't speak to the specifics of the PDF format, but the R. R.
Donnelley company has been storing digital versions of books against the
possiblity of future use at least since 1993, when Jerry Butler, who ran
Donnelley's sales operation at the time, told me about it.

Ninth, I was the executive in charge of putting Encyclopaedia Britannica
online in 1994.  It's still there, last time I looked, and making money,
according to the current CEO, the talented Jorge Cauz.

This list could go on, but I don't think it will satisfy Mr. Hodgkin.
The reason for this, in my view, is that the original post by Ross
Atkinson mentions making books available online, but in fact probably
means giving books away for free--that is, some form of Open Access for
books.  I don't see any likelihood of this happening except in limited
circumstances, as with the online promotions of Baen Books and the
occasional experiments at MIT Press (where I serve on the Management
Board).  It is very, very hard to make money in the book business and the
appetite for Open Access is minuscule.

Let's be clear what is not happening in the book world.  Open Access is
not happening.  Authors are not clamoring for Open Access (quite the
opposite).  Book publishers are not directing their online plans to
libraries (which are viewed as increasingly poor markets).

In the spirit of experimental science, I ask all members of this list to
take 25% of their savings and invest it in a company that publishes Open
Access books.

Joe Esposito