RE: June issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter

Dear Dr. Suber,

In the most recent SPARC Open Access Newsletter, you cited ASPET's
response to the NIH policy on enhanced public access to NIH-funded
research:

* The three journals of the American Society for Pharmacology and
Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) will allow NIH-funded authors to deposit
their "accepted manuscripts" in PMC.  Authors may not request public
access until 12 months after publication.  ASPET journals have a
background policy of putting all their contents free online after 12
months.

https://mx2.arl.org/Lists/SPARC-OAForum/Message/1886.html

You left out an important part of our announcement.  We are making the
author postprints of all articles freely accessible immediately at our web
sites as publish-ahead-of-print articles.  This goes beyond what the NIH
requested because all articles--not just those funded by the NIH--are
included.  These articles are indexed by PubMed Central and a number of
search engines, so they are just as easily found as if they were posted at
the NIH site.

Richard Dodenhoff
Journals Director
American Society for Pharmacology and