RE: Google Print Home Page now offers searching

Dear Jim,

When used this way as a search tool it is probably closest to think of it
as an expanded bibliographic index.  Once the book has been identified,
then it can be obtained through normal sources--one's own library,
interlibrary loan, etc.

For the out-of-copyright books that are available, it will also serve for
reading them.  It obviously cannot be used for books still in
copyright--except possibly by users at that unversity that owned the
specific book scanned. (I say "possibly, "  because this use may or may
not be permissible-- this is the AAUP position in their lawsuit, which I
hope will be soon compromised. )

Certainly it is frustrating to see just a small window.  It's similar to
getting an abstract from an indexing service, in cases where the actual
journal article is not immediately obtainable -- or perhaps not obtainable
at all.

Not even Google intends this as the solution to all literature access
problems.  Even in its current state, its a good deal more than we have
ever had-- except perhaps in dreams, where some people, including myself,
sometimes read wonderful books that unfortunately do not exist in the
print or electronic worlds.

David G.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor