Re: Google Print Home Page Now Offers Searching

While it is true that the location of content of interest in a book still
under copyright may only be seen in some small portion in Google Print,
nevertheless, there are additional options.  Going to the main Google
search tool, one may search the title of the book in quotation marks and
the phrase "find in a library", connecting the two phrases with the
boolean "and" without quotation marks and find a list of libraries that
have the book in ones region using zip code as the search parameter to
find local locations.  If preferred, or if the find in a library search
fails, one may search just the title of the book in Google and in Froogle
Google and often find some very inexpensive editions of the book both new
and used.  This is certainly not as wonderful as viewing the content
needed in Print Google, but it is better than nothing, and of course there
is also interlibrary loan.  One can also, if in a position to purchase
books for their library, consider purchasing the book electronically from
Net-Library if available or from another online book aggregator.  Of
course all of these methods may fail, but they are options to try when the
results in Google Print do not meet ones reading or research needs.

Google Print is at least finding the books needed, and if the search is
covering the entire book of an in copyright book, a depth of searching in
a vast collection of monographs' page by page content, that has never been
possible before, is now available from a no charge search engine.  The
down side is that Google cannot provide a precision search of this vast
ocean of material like a search interface of the quality of Dialog or OVID
or some other similar tools can do.  One will be left with much to sort
through in all but the most specific word combinations that cannot help
but find exactly what one is looking for.  Indeed, the explosion of the
coveage of copyright to extreme lengths of time and the lack of a rigorous
search software to use with this massive collection of material, will
certainly circumscribe the usefulness of the project in terms of finding
on topic content, as far as I can see.  Like other tools, Print Google is
another source that one may use when it works for the specific needs that
one has.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University