Re: NIH as publisher

Where it ends is that NIH is finally taking on some responsibility for the
public dissemination of publicly funded research. This is something the
government should always be doing.  The critics of NIH here are simply
rehashing the same old argument that government funded agencies should
never ever compete with the private sector. But I think this ideological
line has finally spent itself and it's time to move on. We see where this
position has gotten us so it's quite refreshing to see a public agency
take on projects of this sort.

What's the difference between this issue and what Reed Elsivier and the
publishing industry did to PubScience?  I don't see any.

Sam Trosow
Uuniversity of Western Ontario