RE: Database Licenses on Campuses With Affiliated Organizations

This came up repeatedly with affiliated institutions at my previous
university.  The easiest part of the solution is that if you give them
library privileges, they will be covered for searches does in the library
under almost all contracts.

The nest step is for searches done in the university-provided quarters but
not in the library.  First thing to find out is there Internet
addresses--are they part of the university range, or of the parent
organization range.  If they are are part of the university range you have
some bargaining power. But otherwise you will have to renegotiate each
contract.

If they are nonprofit organizations this may not be difficult or costly.
If they are commercial firms (as was the case for a while at Princeton)
most vendors would probably want a separate contract, especially if there
is a difference between commercial and noncommercial rates,

Some of this can be helped if individual researchers ae of sufficient
status that the University is comfortable with giving them a bona fide
visiting research status.

If the organization is merely a branch office of a major outside
organization, they should be able to user that organizations off-site
access provisions.

As always, the chemical databases will prove the most difficult problem,
and I am not thinking only of the ACS, (Lexis I am not even considering,
as it will prove not difficult, but impossible.  They will have to pay
separately.

If I were on the other side of the fence, I would be quite suspicious of
arrangements for out of library access without payment, or even for
selected senior staff. To avoid the precedent of tolerating unauthorized
use, I would be prepared to extent the license to such (presumably small)
organizations at very reasonable rates.  A few of the orgaizations I have
known in this position were clearly deliberately using the university
connection to avod paying their appropriate license fees.

IMHO, many electronic resource providers asssume as a matter of course
that univeristy user will not respect licenses or copyright. (perhaps they
are remembering their own student days.) To make evident that we are
responsible customers, we should try to facilitate above-board
arrangments.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professors
Long Island University