Re: Fwd: US University OA Resolutions Omit Most ImportantComponent

I thought David Prosser's position was particularly well expressed.

We can extend this position with other examples, some hypothetical.
There is nothing wrong with requiring someone, as a condition of
employment, to check email over the weekend.  Or a university, as a
condition of employment, could require that faculty assign royalties on
textbooks to the parent institution.  Some of these conditions will be
more popular than others.  A university that demands control of faculty's
intellectual property may find that some faculty will defect to other
institutions, just as some people switch jobs to shorten a commute or for
better pay.

The question to my mind is not what is right or wrong about any of these
matters but what is practical.  Will organizations that make Open Access a
condition of funding also fund the entire process?  Or will they assume,
impractically, that other entities will subsidize some portion of the
process, as all of the NIH proposals do?  Some people view the process as
being fairly simple and therefore not hard to replicate.  For my part, I
think brain surgery is easy, but then I have never tried it.

Joe Esposito