RE: Berkeley faculty statement on scholarly publishing

Dear Jan,

In your posting, you seem to still identify OA with OA Journals. Now that
you no longer represent a publisher of OA Journals, you can appropriately
take a broader view.

It is clearly true that the switch from subscription journals to OA
Journals will not save money beyond the savings in transaction cost, and
the possible competition for lower author fees. Those who find such
savings are examining small-scale amateur production, which is appropriate
for some titles, but not the larger, more important, and more expensive.

You are of course totally correct that the appeal of OA Journals is not
cost savings, but the other manifold advantages of OA. Those who look for
a system that is substantially less expensive to operate must look
elsewhere.

Why do many academic libraries wish to look elsewhere?

Basically, a system costing as much as the present system is not
affordable over the long run. If a system can be devised that would limit
annual cost increases to the expected rate of library budget increases
(optimistically, that means between 0% and 3%) then they might be. I think
for any system based on OA Journals to prove viable, this needs to be
demonstrated.

I do not think it impossible.

There is first of all the possibility of technical advances, but I do not
see that a system free of manual intervention can be possible, which
inevitably restricts the savings.

There is second the realization that most scholarly articles might not
justify the expenses of full-scale professional journals. The much less
expensive mode of publishing via an Article Database might be sufficient.
(These might equally well take the form of upgraded IRs, of disciplinary
repositories or of national archives;  the argument between them is
needless, there being opportunity for all.)

I recognize the problem of a dual track publication system, and the
inevitable pressure from academic administrators for articles to be
published in the higher prestige system. Possibly there is no way of
avoiding it except the Draconian one of changing _all_ publication to
Article Databases.

There is third the possibility that the higher cost publishers might
approach the efficiencies of non-profit publishers. This will only happen
libraries stop subscribing to high cost journals, even if they have a
residual amount of use; this would compel them to either sharply reduce
costs or become merely expensive vanity publishers in which articles may
be published, but will not be read. The financial resources of some such
publishers may permit them to continue even with almost no subscriptions,
but even the richest privately owned ones cannot do this indefinitely.
Unfortunately, there is good reason to fear that if any money is thus made
available, some of the larger non-profit publishers will increase prices
to absorb it; this has the potential to defeat any savings.

For many years we have been saying that only a change in author behavior
will change the system. I have given up on this happening.  The pressures
on academic authors are such that they will publish with no regard to the
burden they are imposing.  Libraries could have forced the change long
ago, but have all considered themselves to be without the support of the
faculty, who consistently have asked for more than can be afforded. To
administrators libraries may have appeared as infinite sinks of money, but
to the faculty they have appeared infinite sources. I have yet to see the
faculty declaration of principles that is accompanied by the action it
calls for.

The real change seems to be occurring at the hand of government agencies;
as they are the ultimate source of funds, this does unfortunately make
sense. It does tie us to their agenda. If the NIH sees OA as a mere
byproduct of their intent to republish journal articles to fit their
administrative needs, they will do just that.

David Goodman
Associate Professor of Library and Information Science
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu