From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu on behalf of David Stern
Sent: Wed 5/4/2005 11:02 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: US University OA Resolutions Omit Most Important Component

While Stevan's push for 100% coverage of academic materials within OA
repositories is on target, I still believe that we need a more reliable
and universal infrastructure for decentralized repositories ... one that
includes long-term support, which means funding for all authors and
organized R&D for enhanced navigation.

The present loose federation of existing D-Space (and other) and possible
FEDORA-based institutional repository (IR) platforms does not yet offer
the scalable design that we require in order to develop integrated tools
with universal storage. Perhaps we need to devlop a blend of IRs and
discipline-based repositories (a la arXiv) in order to provide platforms
and navigation for all users -- not just those in organizations able to
run their own IRs?

We have the technology, now we need to focus our support on a plan that
provides universal storage and access ... with or without the peer review
overlay for the present time.

David

David Stern
Director of Science Libraries and Information Services
Kline Science Library
New Haven, CT  06520-8111
email:  david.e.stern@yale.edu