RE: Open Access and For-Pay Access (to the same IR materials)

Brian,

On your first point; clearly there is a lot of information available for
free on the internet but in many cases, including CNN, their internet
offering is a useful and cost effective way of a profit making entity
extending its brand. CNN is probably one of the most commercial of all
broadcasters and can only afford to give free access to its news online
because it makes so much money through other TV channels. None of the
product you can view for free on the internet is material that they aren't
earning money on elsewhere. I guess what I am trying to say here is that
no-one gives something for nothing; there'll be a profit motive somewhere,
just as there is with CNN.

I work for a small research organization and have done for the last four
years. My own experience is that gradual erosion of public access
information is taking place, and what was once available for free is
starting to be restricted. The most prominent case that springs to mind is
www.FT.com, that only 2 years ago was completely free. Now you can read I
would estimate 20% of what is on the site for free but you have to pay for
the rest. Because of the high quality of the content and the necessity to
us of the product we didn't have to think twice to pay. I think it is
still early days as far as this process goes.

On your second point: what you are essentially proposing is very similar
to nationalization and state control. I don't need to tell you that 20th
Century history is littered with examples of well meaning attempts to run
utilities and services in the public good with no profit. Almost all have
either been sold off privately or are performing so poorly and are so
under funded that they won't last much longer. (Our own UK higher
education system and health service spring to mind.) Centrally controlled
and regulated industries tend to become inefficient, lose the ability to
innovate, (which is the key to the success of commercial organizations)
pay their staff poorly and become increasingly bureaucratic through time.

My own experience of academic institutions, gathered through my own
studies is that they are not even close to possessing the level of
commercial acumen found in the large publishing firms. And I would suggest
that commercial acumen is at least as essential to "cost recovery"
publishing as it is to "for profit" publishing. I am of course referring
to the production, distribution and marketing side of academic publishing
and not just the research. If the money (profit) walks out of an industry,
the human capital that made that organization so effective in the first
place is usually not far behind.

Thanks for the response,

Tristan Chapple