RE: Open Access means sloppy publications?

Dear Sally,

The process you describe is meaningless unless the editor selects
appropriate reviewers and uses his judgment about their ratings.  What you
describe can become the rather common practice of an editor sending out
copies to two workers whose standards are as low as those of the
prospective author's, and following their expected recommendation to
publish. Such journals can be found in all sectors of publishing.

On the other hand, review by the editor guided by consultants, is no worse
than the standards and knowledge of the editor. Such journals with high
standards can also be found in many fields of publishing.

The use of the unqualified term "peer review" by Ulrichs, by librarians,
and by teachers, as meaning "high academic qualitity"  is not justified.
Perhaps it is retained as a standard term because it is so conveniently
flexible.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University