Re: Open Access and For-Pay Access (to the same IR materials)

I respect Peter's position but wish to remark that using the postal
service and Amtrak as illistrations hardly strengthens his case.
Further, I am not an advocate of the end of peer review.  My point is
simply that this is where Open Access will take us inevitably, to
postpublication peer review.  It is OA advocates who believe that what
Peter does for a living is a waste of time, not me.  My own preference
(which will not be granted, as I pray to the wrong god) is that OA would
not touch legacy publications like Peter's but will focus entirely on new
forms of publishing, things like arXiv, not Nature, Foreign Affairs, or
the publications of the American Diabetes Association.

Joe Esposito