RE: Open Access and For-Pay Access (to the same IR materials)

Re: Joe Espositos comments:

How can peer review take place post publication? Regardless of whether a
highly regarded journal is author pays or subscription, surely what makes
it highly regarded in the first place is an implicit assurance from the
publisher to the reader that the articles are of the highest quality. It's
not for the busy time-poor reader to sort the wheat from the chaff. I
don't see how assurances about quality can be provided if articles are not
peer reviewed prior to being published - digitally or otherwise.

As a follow-up point I'd draw your attention to free online news services:
in the early days of the 'net the likes of the FT.com and other news
providers were free of charge. As soon as consumers started to use online
information and data as routinely as they used the hardy copy equivalent,
publishers leapt on the revenue opportunity to the extent that most news
services now require payment for premium content. My point is that demand
and the profit motive are powerful forces in any market; there are very
few (none?) examples that I can think of where an industry has been
successfully regulated to be run to actually minimize revenue/profit over
the long term.  Attempts to achieve this in the past (regardless of the
industry) tend to be undermined on two levels;

1) At the top end there will always be a sector of the market that can
afford and is willing to pay for a premium service. There's no getting
around this - hundreds of years of economic history bears it out. This
leads to a two tier system.

2) The regulated "free" end of the market ultimately suffers from no
longer having a relationship with the premium consumers, who in the case
of publications are also the most important producers. It gets an inferior
reputation and is further undermined as increasing numbers of people
migrate back to premium products, lured by competitive pricing from the
top end.

I'm not suggesting the current system won't be subject to change. I just
wanted to take a step back from debating details of particular systems and
come back to the bigger picture as I think there's a compelling logic
against open access which will only be to the academic communities'
detriment if it is ignored.

Regards,

Tristan Chapple (UK)