Re: More on Google digitization and Europe

Sloan, Bernie writes

> "Nineteen European national libraries have joined forces against a
> planned communications revolution by Internet search giant Google to
> create a global virtual library, organizers said Wednesday. The 19
> libraries are backing instead a multi-million euro counter-offensive by
> European nations to put European literature online."

  I really can not understand the confrontational tone adopted
  in the article. Surely the more books are freely available
  online the better?

  Maybe the Library of Congress will join this alliance of national
  libraries? Then another aspect of this debate will become clearer:
  the fear of the national libraries of the private sector invading
  what they regard as their turfs.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                      mailto:krichel@openlib.org
                                 http://openlib.org/home/krichel