Revision to Physical Review B & OA or for-pay

Following are comments on two separate liblicense-l messages:

Revision to Physical Review B - Brian Simboli's idea of a central
clearinghouse for funding for OA journals makes a lot of sense to me. If
there isn't a lot of coordination between universities and institutions
here yet, Brian, maybe it's because we need ideas like this to coordinate
around.

On the topic Ann brought up of a vendor selling enhanced searching of
basically OA institutional repositories: as long as they are selling
access to value-added service, not the content per se, this makes perfect
sense to me. I don't see open access as being in opposition to commercial
opportunities at all; the two can coexist nicely.

One thought on how some of the funding for open access could emerge from
this combined OA / paying for enhanced functionality: perhaps some of the
funding for open access could come from commercial operations which are
selling the value-add. How this would work is that the content would be
OA, except for commercial redistribution. Since the material is OA, the
contributions from those selling value-adds would need to be quite modest. That is, one could sell enhancements to free material for modest costs,
but good luck with outrageous ones. Nevertheless, perhaps OA could
eventually be derived from multiple funding sources, this being one.

Comments anyone?

a personal view by,

Heather G. Morrison