RE: Asking for your input re. scholarly publishing developments

Just several quick thoughts. Look forward to catching up with Ann and her
talk at the Fiesole Collection Development Retreat later this month in
Melbourne.
http://www.caval.edu.au/fiesole2005/Fiesole%202005%20Program.pdf

Just off tomorrow to the ALPSP conference in London which should certainly
have some indicators as to how Faculty habits, their settings and
scholarly publishing may change. http://www.alpsp.org/events/s080405.htm

One of the key factors that we have noticed is that academic communication
at the informal level (and it is definitely at the desktop) has grown
exponentially through email, RSS, blogs, and that their research has
proliferated far beyond the textual, eg eresearch- Mode 2 science but that
their publications are still largely enshrined in the reward systems of
Mode 1 publication. See the Houghton report: "Changing Research Practices
..." http://eprints.anu.edu.au/archive/00002196/01/c_res_pract.pdf

The impact of university league tables and research assessment exercises
will still continue to exercise the academic mind so that where one is
published takes often greater precedence than the content of the article.
One of the future challenges will be how to formally embed new reward
systems in governmental and research grant accreditations.

On other fronts, the rise of the new ePresses and maybe the deconstruction
of the academic monograph and the need to debate public good output costs
of institutions as well as input costs will be key factors for the future.
Realise haven't looked at the past as much as Ann wanted, but clearly the
transforming nature of the library as physical place and the research
access at the desktop with consequent implications were two of the major
factors in the Australian context.

Colin

Colin Steele
Emeritus Fellow
University Librarian, Australian National University (1980-2002)
and Director Scholarly Information Strategies (2002-2003)
W.K. Hancock Building (043)
The Australian National University
Canberra  ACT 0200
Australia