Ask a Live Librarian Online

Inquiry posted by request.

>From albert.joy@uvm.edu Wed Mar 23 08:27:42 2005
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:30:21 -0500
From: Albert Joy <albert.joy@uvm.edu>
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: ask a librarian online service

At the University of Vermont, the Reference Department has begun a pilot
project called: "Ask a Live Librarian Online".

One of the functions of this online chat service is that the librarian and
user can co-browse web sites. So, we can search together and both see what
is happening.  Virtually all of our electronic resource licenses allow
walkin-users, physically present in the library, to search, etc. our
licensed resources.  In this case, the user connecting with the librarian,
is not physically in the library.

Therefore, my immediate reaction was to tell the reference librarian in
charge of the project, that there appears to be a licensing problem with
the new service.  She answered:

"However;  a pretty good argument can be made for this not really being
any different than a patron coming into the building. They don't have
independent access and can only view materials as long as we are their
escorts.'

Have other libraries started similar projects?  If so, have you thought
about this licensing issue?

Thanks,

Albert Joy
Acquisitions/Preservation Librarian