More 'cited by' links in IOP Journals

In September 2003, we announced that papers in our Electronic Journals had
been enhanced by links to citing articles from The American Physical
Society and NASA's Astrophysical Data System. I'm pleased to report that
our 'Articles citing this article' tool has now been developed further. In
keeping with our tradition of innovation, we have become the first
publisher to implement 'cited-by' links using CrossRef's Forward Linking
service.

We have made 'cited-by' links available for papers published in the last
10 years. Over the coming months, we will be working our way through our
entire journal archive, back to 1874. To take a look at forward linking in
action, go to the following paper from New Journal of Physics and select
the 'Articles citing this article link' on the right hand side:

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/1367-2630/1/1/006

New Journal of Physics is our open-access electronic-only title (co-owned
by the Institute of Physics and Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft) so
the 'cited-by' links are available to all. For our other journals, this
facility is limited to subscribers.

Said Ed Pentz, CrossRef's Executive Director

'Forward Linking - where publishers retrieve and display links to other
articles that cite their content - is a natural extension of the CrossRef
linking network and will provide a better online reading environment for
researchers and scholars. We currently have over 90 member publishers
preparing to use this new service, and are very pleased to see IOP
Publishing be the first to go live with it.'

As other Publishers follow our lead, you will start to see more and more
'cited-by' links from our papers. Similarly, when reading papers on other
publishers' websites, you will come across 'cited-by' links back to IOP
journals. Comprehensive information trails, forwards and backwards in
time, will become a reality.

We will keep you posted on our progress.

Regards,

Lucy Braithwaite
Senior Product Manager
Institute of Physics Publishing

PS Look out for other tools on our abstract pages to help you find related
articles, including our 'Search highlighted text' facility, which enables
you to highlight text on screen and then search.

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England