Re: Anniversary of DC Principles

Fred,

I can't answer your questions about why twelve months is better than six
months (or not), but I can answer your question about the changes in
"embargo period" for journals based on some records that I informally
keep. (I can't tell you about considerations that are still going on at
journals that haven't yet emerged as new policy, since HighWire wouldn't
necessarily know of those before they become policy.) There are also some
changes that might be of interest that don't exactly fit your question;
I'll get to those at the end of this note.

As for changes in the "embargo": I send out an announcement about changes
in the "free back issues" ("FBI") program about once a quarter to
librarians who have requested to be notified about changes at HighWire
(new journals, etc.). I scanned those notices to see what has changed
(unfortunately, I didn't keep this rigorously, so I might have missed a
notice). Here are the stats in the last year:

16 journals have started offering FBI that didn't before
3 journals have made the delay longer
11 journals have made the delay shorter

Other changes of interest (which unfortunately I can't statistically
compare to a year ago): we have an increasing number of journals that now
publish author manuscripts soon after acceptance (this is different from
those who publish fully redacted papers ahead of print). About 50
journals HighWire works with now do this; my impression is that this is a
significantly higher number than a year ago (but don't ask for the stats,
I don't have them). About 10 of these journals make the author mss free
immediately on publication (a form of "self archiving" that is
particularly easy for the authors and the readers).

I hope this is some help in answering your question.

John

John Sack, Director
HighWire Press, Stanford University
Phone: 650-723-0192; fax: 650-725-9335