RE: Disintermediating the disintermediator?

Joe,

Thanks for passing the news on about Google's Autolink service and its
partnership with Amazon. I've just tested it against our own online
bookshop and our online library, both places where there are lots of
ISBNs! I have a couple of reactions (which I'm copying to my contact at
Google):

1. Google is passing potential business to Amazon, ahead of other online
booksellers. This is shame for clients trying to get hold of books from
smaller publishers. Why? Because smaller publishers like us cannot afford
the ruinous terms demanded by Amazon to sell our books. Rather than
increase our prices (which is what Amazon's policy suggests), we have a
network of distributors around the world (as well as our own online
bookshop) each of whom offers a much better service at lower cost to
buyers. I'm sure this an unwanted side-effect of Google's tool, but they
really need to replicate what they're doing with Google Print and offer a
choice of online bookshop outlets.

2. I found it very irritating that there is no back-link offered from the
Amazon site. Once I clicked on the the ISBN link in Google's toolbar,
there was no going back!!

Toby Green
OECD Publishing